GOSPEL MEDITATION #197
The Pharisees Demand a Sign & The Leaven of the Pharisees Mark 8:11-21
- Find a quiet place without distractions.
- Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace.
- Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer.
- Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself.
- Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
- “Show us a miracle and we will be satisfied.” Then one more would be requested, and then another. Heal someone, cast out a demon – then we will believe. But they did not.
- Seems like a miracle would be enough but it never is. Faith is always a gift, blind eyes must be opened, deaf ears must be made to hear.
- Jesus had feed 5000 then 4000 and yet the apostles were worried about the apparent lack of bread. Did they want to see another miracle?
- The guys somehow had forgotten the two most incredible miracles ever, one which showed up the fundamental law of nature – new energy or matter cannot be created. We live in a closed system.
- Right in front of them, as it had been for the religious leaders, they beheld the miraculous. It was not enough.
- As yet there was no inner working of the Holy Spirit, who alone confirms forgiveness and salvation. It is a miracle unseen, which is far superior to even a resurrection from the dead.
- There would be the resurrection of Lazarus, which was like casting pearls before swine; then Jesus’ own resurrection was denied.
- The Pharisees are like all those who trust in doing good works. Theirs is despair and a longing for proof undeniable.
- Good deeds are observed while real faith cannot be.