Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Recite the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture. Memorize the memory verse.
- Six months before the announcement to Mary that she would have a child, an angel of God named Gabriel revealed to Elizabeth, a relative of Mary, that she would have a child. This child would be named John (later added the title “the Baptist”) who would prepare people for what would be revealed.
- Sixth months later the angel Gabriel was sent to the virgin, Mary, already engaged to be married to Joseph, who then proceeded to tell Mary who this child is and would be.
- How it is that Mary was “favored” above all women to bear the Messiah, the Christ, of whose kingdom would never end, is not revealed.
- Mary protests, and this word may not be the best word to be used, but she asks, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”
- Now the angel responds with an explanation that is far beyond our ability to grasp, except that it is the result of something miraculous. The miracle is a son who is “holy” and only God is holy so this one will be the “son of God.”
- Briefly the angel says that the “Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you” in an attempt to explain to Mary the unexplainable.
- Then the angel says her relative Elizabeth has already conceived a son, this six months earlier, someone Mary knew was too old to be able to give birth.
- Mary makes an incredible statement of faith and commits to what the angel has announced to her.