GOSPEL MEDITATION #226
The Plot to Kill Jesus, Jesus Anointed at Bethany, &
Judas to Betray Jesus Mark 14:1-11
(Also see Matthew 6:1-16 and John 12:1-8)
- Find a quiet place without distractions.
- Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace.
- Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer.
- Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself.
- Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
- From memory, determine the central points.
- Tuesday, Passover and Unleavened Bread, beginning, and the plot to kill Jesus had reached a ‘fever pitch’. Prudently, those who feared Jesus knew better than to act in the open.
- Mark back-tracts four days previous. 6 days before Passover (see John 12:1) to a celebratory dinner in Bethany at the home of Simon the Leper/Lazarus.
- A woman appears, Mary the sister of Lazarus (see John 12;3), and pours a flask of expensive perfume (nard) over Jesus’ head (body in verse 8).
- Some of the apostles (Judas leading the charge, see John 12:4), complained that the costly oil should have been sold and the money given to the poor.
- Jesus orders quiet and wonderfully honors what Mary had done. The poor, not be ignored, but something of greater value just occurred. Mary had anointed Jesus’ body for burial, thus Jesus, again, points to His coming death.
- Then verse 9, one of the most important in the Bible, Jesus explains that what just took place will be spoken of until the end of the age as a testimony to the anointing.
- Here Jesus assumes the publication of the event to the whole world. And of course, His words fulfilled here and now.
- For reasons not entirely understood, Judas now goes to the religious rulers (maybe not for the first time) and is ready to betray Jesus. He was warmly received, so much so, money is offered as a reward.