The Gospel of John
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
1. In verse 16 we find the first of five “Paraklete sayings” and all five of which are found in chapters 14, 15, and 16. Paraklete is a legal term meaning advocate or defending counsel and here is rendered “Helper” by the ESV.
2. Jesus has clearly stated previously that He is leaving them and now reassures His followers that He will ask the Father to give them another Helper to be with them. He refers to this Helper as the “Spirit of truth.” In verse 26 Jesus uses another name for the Helper=Holy Spirit.
3. This Helper cannot be received by the world, that world that is made up of those who reject Jesus as Lord.
4. Jesus states that the Spirit of truth, the Helper, will actually indwell His followers. Thus Jesus depicts the possession of the Holy Spirit within each individual believer and be present with His Church.
5. In verse 18 Jesus further encourages His disciples “I will come to you,” and by that He means, the Holy Spirit.
6. Jesus states that those who have His commandments and does them loves Him. In 13:34-35, Jesus’ commandment is that they are to love one another, and loving the Lord their God and keeping “my word” are part of this commanding. The keeping of Jesus’ commandments is the key expression of love for Him.
7. The commandments of love, Jesus makes clear, are from the Father who has sent Him.
8. Jesus states that the Helper, the Holy Spirit, will be the teacher of all the things Jesus has spoken to them. That is true then and now.
9. Verse 27, one of the greatest passages in Scripture, is to be fully grasped by Jesus’ followers. Peace, which passes understanding, is peace with God bought by the precious blood of the Lamb. So then, no fear of anything in the world.
10 There indeed a “ruler of this world” the devil and his angels, but those in Christ will nevertheless have peace and security.