Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passages of Scripture.
1. Mary and Joseph presented Jesus at the Temple
according to the Law of Moses. (See Ex. 13:2 & Lev. 12:8). They offered 2 pigeons indicating that the family was poor.
2. The obedience of Mary and Joseph indicates also that they were observant Jews as Jesus would be as He grew up.
3. Here now the Holy Family meet Simeon, a Holy Spirit inspired prophet, who is awaiting the arrival of the Messiah.
4. The remarkable statement about Jesus being the cause of the “fall and rising of many,” is a preparation for Mary about what was to become of her baby. The Child would be loved and hated, both at once, and so He has remained to this day, a sign that is opposed.
5. Simeon goes even further: “And a sword will pierce through your own soul also.” Indeed, she would be present as her Son is crucified. The words may well have been meant to be comforting to Mary, by taking away any surprise or false expectation.
7. Then Anna, another witness to Mary and Joseph, two witnesses then along with Simeon, thus meeting the Biblical requirement of Deuteronomy 17:6. Mary and Joseph would be comforted by this.
8. Some 30 years before the cross, God brings three “old” people to the temple to announce the great event that was to come.