Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passages of Scripture.
1. This passage is titled “The book of the generations of Adam” and prepares us for the days of Noah and the Flood.
2. Some commentators refer to our passage as a 3rd creation account while others see it as a conclusion to a seamless account of the creation story beginning chapter one. Christians will disagree on some points, which are not crucial to the core Gospel message.
3. Our passage asserts that God (Elohim in Hebrew) created men and women “in the likeness of God.” No other creature is so made, and the idea is that humans are capable of having a direct and personal relationship with their creator.
4. In the previous chapter, the line of Cain came to ruin, but the third son of Adam, is Seth who was created in the likeness of Adam, thus in the likeness of God.
5. The line of descent then moves, after Seth, to the birth of Noah, which came seven generations later. This number indicates completion. The stage is set now for the great Flood.
6. At the core of the Bible’s message is the prediction/prophecies of the events related to the first coming of Messiah Jesus and then to His second coming. And these revelations can also be seen in our passage here.