Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
1. Among those who had heard of the healing power of Jesus was a man with a son who had a series of difficulties, one of which was possession by a demon–he sought Jesus to heal this son. The disciples of Jesus, the nine who had not gone with Jesus up on the mountain, could not cast the evil spirit out but Jesus did.
2. Then, Jesus for a second time (there would be one more) told the twelve that He would be “delivered into the hands of men.” However, they did not understand Him, and Luke says this was due to the fact it was “concealed” from them.
3. And of interest here, Luke reports that they were afraid to ask Jesus about what He meant.
4. It is of interest also that Matthew’s (Matthew 18:1–6), and Mark’s (Mark 9:33–37) account of the twelve arguing about who is the greatest amongst themselves, both differ from Luke’s.
5. Jesus’ reply to His disciples is that the one who receives a child because the child believes in Him, this one is the greatest and receiving the child is the same as receiving Jesus, and whoever receives Jesus receives the one who sent Him.
6. This one, who is faithful in the small and seemingly unimportant ministry, is the greatest.