Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passages of Scripture.
1. Is it 72 or 70 that were sent out? Manuscripts differ, my guess it was 70, and these went out two by two, to areas where Jesus Himself would soon be coming to.
2. There was a major harvest just ahead, but the workers were few. In addition, the work would not be easy, rather it would be dangerous, and as an example Jesus says it is like sending lambs out to wolves.
3. The 70 were to travel lightly and accept whatever help people in the towns they would enter provided.
4. At the heart of their work was healing and proclaiming that the kingdom of God would be coming near to them.
5. Jesus issued a word of “woe” or dreadfulness on those cities who rejected His word. In fact, it would be better for cities like Tyre and Sidon, pagan areas, modern Syria, along the upper eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea, than for those of the House of Israel.
6. Lastly, Jesus states that those who will listen to the 70 are really listening to Jesus. But also that those then that reject the message of the 70 are in reality rejecting both Himself and the one who sent Him, that is, the Father.