Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Recite the Lord’s Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage above and the Bible passages listed under the title, “Scripture Reading.”
1. From ancient days there were exorcists who errantly thought they were casting demons out of people. Then along came Jesus who in actuality did cast out demons, and in our passage is the story of such a situation. His ministry was obvious, but Jesus’ opponents said it was by the power of the chief demon, Beelzebul, that He did this work.
2. This charge must be made or those who were rejecting Jesus would have to admit Jesus’ authenticity and superiority.
3. Jesus, in defense, points out that if the Satan casts out demons, then Satan is divided against itself. Then Jesus indicates that the Jewish exorcists cast out demons by the power, or trickery, of the chief demon Beelzebul.
4. Jesus then states that those who charge Him of being in league with Satan are against Him. He also charges that what their “sons” do is by the working of Beelzebul.
5. With that, Jesus states that if it is by the finger or power of God that He casts out demons, and the “if” word means that He does cast out demons by the power of God, then the “kingdom of God” has come upon then, right there and then.
6. Then a warning to the false exorcists, that their work merely results in a worse demonization of those who come to them.