Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Recite the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
1. There are several titles for this passage, one above and also Watchful Servants and The Alert Slave.
2. Jesus tells His followers that they must be ready to do the will of their Lord and blessed are those who are serving Him when He returns.
3. Of great surprise then, those who belong to Jesus, identify Him as Lord, and are born again, will find Jesus Himself serving them.
4. The timing of His return will not be known to the disciples, so they must always be awake and alert.
5. Again it is repeated in a slightly different way, that the directive of Jesus is His disciples must be ready since His return is unknown.
6. Jesus reminds His disciples that masters of households reward those who follow them faithfully.
7. But woe to the servant who abuses his privileges by mistreating other servants under him, well, the consequences will be dire.
8. Those who knowingly go against what they knew they ought not to be doing will bear the consequences.
9. These are Jesus’ directions for His followers, here delivered directly to the twelve apostles.