Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
1. Likely numbers of times parents brought their children to Jesus so that He might bless them (with a touch). In that era, children were often a burden to parents.
2. Jesus invites children to come to Him, and such is the way we must come into the
kingdom of God.
3. Then a rich ruler sought Jesus out. Maybe the head of a synagogue or even a member of the Sanhedrin (70 of them ruled over by the high priest).
4. It seems that he desired to have eternal life and must have thought Jesus could show him the way.
5. Jesus lists 5 commandments, these called the Second Table of the Law, and the ruler says he is completely obedient and observant of these laws. (see Exodus 20)
6. Jesus then tells him to sell all he has and give it to the poor, and then become His follower.
7. The ruler declines however, too high a price to pay for him, and Jesus states how difficult it is for those who are wealthy. Using hyperbole, to help make His point, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.
8. Those who heard Jesus’ words wondered who then could be saved. Jesus says only God can do this saving work.
9. Those who leave all worldly goods behind–perhaps referring to forgives and peace–will receive much more here on the planet, and then even eternal life.