Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Recite the Lord’s Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage above and the Bible passages listed under the title, “Scripture Reading.”
1. Paul and Barnabas had brought the Gospel to southern part of Galatia, in modern day Turkey, in the mid to late forties, and churches sprang up.
2. When the two evangelists left, some who had Hebrew backgrounds, attempted to have the new converts observe traditional Old Testament laws including circumcision, and obeying the Law of Moses.
3. Paul expressions surprise that the new believers in Jesus where being tempted to do so, and thus making salvation something a person did instead of it being the work of the Holy Spirit. Paul says what the Judaizers were doing was presenting a different Gospel.
4. This amounted to a distortion of the Gospel of Christ. Paul clearly sees how very dangerous such a concept is. And he warns the Galatians that even if he and Barnabas themselves, or even a supposed angel from heaven, where to present such a distortion of the truth that these should be ‘accursed.’
5. Paul assures the Galatians that he is not seeking the approval of people but of God. For to align with the error that salvation was my means of doing the works of the Law of Moses, then he would not be a servant of Christ.