Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passages of Scripture.
1. This passage has been referred to as “The Transfiguration” for many centuries and it refers to the fact that Peter, James, and John saw that the appearance of Jesus was altered or changed.
2. The trio, known as the “inner three,” went up into a mountain to pray. We are reminded that Moses went up into a mountain to receive the Ten Commandments. There was something about this going up that is difficult to understand, but it could be so that the four would be alone.
3. Suddenly two “men” appeared with Jesus and were talking with Jesus. These men were Moses and Elijah, but we do not know how the three disciples knew this.
4. Their appearance was “in glory,” and they were talking with Jesus about His departure, which likely would have included his death, resurrection, and ascension. And it would all happen in Jerusalem.
5. The three disciples were sleeping apparently, and also it is likely this event took place late at night. When they awoke, at some unknown point, they saw both the glory of Jesus and also Moses and Elijah standing with Jesus.
6. Peter wanted to provide a way for the two visitors to remain with them there on that unnamed mountain, but just then they were enveloped in a cloud, which proved to be a fearful event for the disciples.
7. Out of the cloud however came a dramatic message:
“This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!” After the message concluded, they were alone with Jesus.
8. It would be a long while before the three spoke of this.