Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still and at peace. Say the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself. Slowly and carefully read the passage of Scripture.
1. Joseph and Mary follow the directions given in the Law of Moses for the child Jesus and mother Mary.
2. While at the Temple the family meets Simeon who was waiting for the fulfillment of the promises regarding the Messiah found in the Hebrew Bible.
3. By direction of the Holy Spirit, he locates the little family, takes baby Jesus in his arms, and issues the last of the “songs” in Luke, the Nunc Dimittus, meaning ‘mission now completed.’
4. In the first part of the song, he knows his mission is complete as he has seen the Lord’s salvation, which is Jesus.
5. This salvation will be for not only the Jews but for Gentiles as well. Then Simeon describes the ministry of Jesus, it will be for the “fall and rising of many,” and for a “sign that is opposed.” This see this being fulfilled now.
6. Then he speaks about a “sword” that will pierce through Mary as well, an indication of what will happen to baby Jesus, thus the crucifixion and death of Mary’s son.
7. Then as a second testimony there is Anna, a devout woman 84 years old, who provides another witness to Joseph and Mary, and all who witnessed the event, that the child Jesus was the “redemption of Jerusalem,” another way of referring to the coming Messiah and His ministry.
8. Now then the little family heads back home to Nazareth where baby Jesus will grow and become strong.