Find a quiet place, alone and apart from distractions. Be comfortably alert, still, and at peace. Recite the Lord’s Prayer. Sing or cant the Jesus Prayer. Pray for family, friends, neighbors, and yourself.
1. Jesus openly declares that He does not bring peace but division, so unlike every other world religious system. We know the peace He brings, forgiveness of sin and giving the new birth, but it is not hidden that there is trouble along with it.
2. Surprisingly the division hits close to home, within the family. Is this reality part of counting the cost of discipleship?
3. All people groups know how to predict what weather is heading their way, but the hypocrites, those religious professionals (Pharisees & Sadducees) are unable to interpret the times, KAIROS in the Greek. Could Jesus be alluding to more than the divisions of family and friends, but also pointing to demonic forces as well?
4. Now a most difficult passage, these verses 57 to 59, titled “Settle with Your Accuser” in the ESV, about settling differences with an accuser so that the whole squabble does not place one in prison.
5. The last verse, #59 reads: “I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the very last penny.” Now this must refer to having ended up in a prison, but what is the prison?
6. My answer is it is about the much tragic prison of all, and that is hell itself, where a person, endlessly, experiences grief and pain. Jesus so warns us.